Friday, December 04, 2009

Ruminations Interrupted by: Allison Iraheta - Just Like You



Another great album from a talent show finalist. I had intended to review Adam Lambert’s offering next, but I just got Allison’s album and on listening to it, I decided it merited a review way before Adam’s.

Her distinctive rocker husky growl and yell is put to good effect in this selection. Forget about her being 17 years old. She’s a natural who sings with the authority and experience of a thirty-seven year old - that’s a heck of a compliment. Reminds me of Joan Jett, Janis Joplin, among others.

Good, solid songs, not a turkey among them, but the standouts are Holiday (co-written by another talent show finalist, Dilana - we have a lot to be grateful for as far as these shows go) and Still Breathing. Honourable mentions to Friday I’ll Be Over You, Robot Love, Beat Me Up.

Allison plays to her strengths and doesn’t put a foot wrong. 21st century girl pop/rock with strong hints of classic rock chops. 

On my personal, arbitrary scale, I’ve rated two songs of the thirteen as five stars, seven as four stars, two as four stars, one as three stars and half a star, and two as three stars.

Posted via email from the blog posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment