Thursday, December 03, 2009

Joys of open source and customer satisfaction how-tos

Quicksilver b57 was not working for me - a specific little bit was not working. I posted a question on this on the Quicksilver forum 14 hours ago. 

3 hours later I got a response from one of the developers saying that they were aware of the bug and would post an update, date not specified as it wasn't a priority, but if I wanted a quick fix, he'd upload a patch. I responded after 9 hours (time zone differences, I was asleep) saying it wasn't a big deal. 

34 minutes ago, the developer notified me via the forum that he'd made a patch available anyway and gave the URL it could be downloaded from. I downloaded it, it works like a charm and I thanked the developer 8 minutes later.

14 hours from problem to resolution across countries, time zones and languages. Customer satisfaction to the max. Customer treated as king even though he doesn't pay a dime. Lesson in professionalism, labours of love and how open source works. Microsoft, Adobe, Oracle, et al - you guys listening?

Posted via email from the blog posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment