Friday, March 31, 2006

Breaking news: Film star spouts sense!

I can't believe I'm actually blogging this, but here goes:

Read Aamir Khan's interview with Tehelka at:
http://www.tehelka.com/story_main17.asp?filename=hub040106Mainstream_CS.asp

(With these kind of links I'm never sure if the link will be valid a few weeks from now: I distrust stuff that ends in .asp)

Here's a celebrity who is giving a sensible interview and an intelligent one and is making a point that urgently needs to be made but which no one else seems to care about: the media in India is going to the dogs. Consumerist running dogs.

Okay, I like dogs, so let's rephrase that: the media in India is down in the garbage dump.

My pet fetish is, of course, the quality of writing, or rather the lack thereof; but even if one was to excuse the appalling grammar, spastic punctuation and ludicrous spelling mistakes, the actual content of 90% of today's newspapers and tv channels is pure drivel.

It's the sort of stuff no self-respecting cat would want to bring home. If fish-and-chips shops attempted to wrap their offerings in these newspapers, the fish would jump back in the water, batter and all, and the chips would re-assemble themselves into potatoes and roll away. I am sometimes tempted to apologise to my tv set for subjecting it to such vapid tripe.

Mr Khan has risen in my esteem considerably for speaking sense and speaking it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment